Granny's pasta mince.

Due to an inconvenient wifi shortage at mine, this post is being hastily typed in a coffee shop while I try and drink my latte (before it goes cold) and am simultaneously downloading all study material I will need in preparation for tomorrow's English exam (gulp).

Yesterday, unlike today, was an absolutely gorgeous day in Glasgow. So much so, that me and Calum decided to take a break from the city and head up to Loch Lomond for a BBQ/picnic. Regardless of the fact that the burgers were frozen, BBQ wouldn't light and we ended up feasting upon gherkins and soft crackers, it was a great day out.
Today, unfortunately, is more on the rainy side and is being spent cramming quotes into my brain while I still can.

So, it's fitting that today's recipe comes in the form of one of my favourite types of comfort food. A dish I have been eating since I was knee high (although admittedly I'm not much taller now) and my beloved late Granny's signature dish; Granny's pasta mince.
Bless her, my Granny was never much of a chef. Which is hard to believe seeing as both me and my mum are both very much on the culinary band wagon. However, I always thought this was her greatest triumph. Plus, being cheap and very easy to make it is brilliant to whip up on a rainy day, in bulk, so you can freeze the leftovers, or live off of them for the next few days. It is made with beef mince but is just as delicious with Quorn, I have made and loved both many a time.

These ingredients make enough for five, or two with about half leftover.


  • 450g beef mince or Quorn mince 
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tin of Campbell's or Batchelor condensed mushroom soup
  • 1 tin of condensed tomato soup (the same) 
  • Enough pasta for 5, roughly 250g
  • 180g grated cheese
  • 180g mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil
  1. Boil the kettle for the pasta and preheat the oven to 200C.
  2. Add your oil to a large pot on a medium-high heat, and then soften your onion until it is transparent.
  3. Add the mince, and keep moving until it is brown all over. At this point, you should be putting your pasta on to cook. 
  4. Add your mushrooms to the mince and onion, and let soften for about five mins. Then add both tins of soup and stir until your sauce is evenly combined. 
  5. Once your pasta is cooked, add it to the pot and stir until the sauce coats it evenly. Add half of the grated cheese and stir that through too. Then, spread the pasta evenly in a large, ovenproof baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, and bake in the oven for about ten mins, or until the cheese has melted and gone golden. 
If you want, feel free to add breadcrumbs or crushed crisps to the top for a bit of crunch. 
Calum isn't fond of mushrooms, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that he actually really enjoyed it, far more than either of us expected. 











If you are in the mood for some comfort food, and want to do something different with the mince that is sitting in the fridge,  other than spaghetti bolognese, this is the recipe for you. A family heirloom, it is almost the perfect student recipe with few ingredients and not a lot of work. AND the leftovers will keep you going over the exam period (I hope). 

Tonight we are heading to the Book Club for bingo - perhaps not the best idea given my exam tomorrow, but I won't have any regrets if I win... fingers crossed! 

Comments

Popular Posts