Post holiday catch up blog - things to do in Rhodes.

Things have been pretty quiet from me in the blogosphere recently, for a number of reasons.
One of them is excusable enough, I just got back from a gorgeous week in the town of Lindos, Rhodes with my boyfriend Calum and sneakily poaching wifi didn't allow for anything too lengthy.
Another not-so-lame excuse is that I got a job, wahey! So, with summer income sorted via waitressing my spare time is limited, and when I do come off a shift I mainly just want to shower and get the smell of food out of my hair, believe it or not.

Now for the limp excuses; 1) it is remarkably difficult to write a glorious food blog full of restaurant reviews when you a) don't live in the West End of Glasgow anymore and b) you instead live in rural Aberdeenshire. Don't get me wrong, there are lovely places to eat where I live, but they are fewer and further between, so reviews will just have to be the same.
2) This one is on the recipe front. I am still cooking, of course, BUT I live at home now... with my mum... and I must admit that since I have returned home from uni I have been enjoying the luxury of having a mum who is not only a wonderful cook, but who also enjoys making dinner every night.

So it seems inevitable that over summer, I will probably blog a little less, but when I do, I hope it is just as enjoyable. I will still be making visits to Glasgow, which will give me opportunity to go to old favourites and new favourites again. I'm also going on holiday in August which will give me some material, and then down to London which I am really looking forward too.
Other than that, I will be posting my recipes for those of you who are interested, as well as little updates of Aberdeenshire life, although it might be a far cry from the restaurants of Glasgow.

For the remainder of this post I want to tell you about Lindos and Rhodes. I know a few people who are heading there this summer so this might be useful to a few of you and maybe just jealousy inducing for the rest.
Being Calum and I's first holiday abroad together, being on the plane was almost excitement enough, but when we actually got there it exceeded my expectations altogether. The town of Lindos itself is beautiful. The kind of town you imagine when you picture going to stay in a small Greek village. Our apartment did the job, although it did have that drainy smell that seems intrinsic in summertime Europe. We also, stupidly, didn't think that we would need to pay the 50 extra Euros for air conditioning for the week.
.
.
.
For anyone going to Greece this summer, or anywhere with the same climate, please, don't think that the money isn't worth it. Nights were dreaded, delirious and on one event so bad that Calum had to get up three separate times to have a cold shower and remain sane. I went around Cambodia for a month last summer, and I don't think I sweated that much then, even whilst trekking.
The money is worth it, trust me.
Apart from that (and a huge dead cricket in the shower) our apartment was within sight of the beautiful St. Pauls Bay (worth a Google if you want to be jealous heh heh heh) and so made up for the sleepless nights.

The food was wonderful. We lived on crepes during the day, had the occasional gyros (kebab) and when we ate out we ate lovely Greek food, my favourite of which was vine leaf wrapped chicken, stuffed with red peppers and pesto. I'm going to try and recreate it as soon as possible, as well as a feta stew called kleftiko (I think) and greek meatballs. The people are lovely, but be prepared to be near-dragged into every restaurant you walk past come six o'clock. I would recommend Stephano's restaurant, if only for the charming front of house.





















We drank lots of cocktails, if you like chocolate milk I would definitely recommend the lehmumba,  and lots and lots of Mythos (greek beer). Our favourite bars were 'Lindos by Night', which played a surprisingly excellent mix of Northern Soul and other Brit classics through the ages; preferable to the chart bangers most bars play. The 404, a mod bar in the centre of town is also worth a visit, again for a break from the Eurotrash, a friendly chat and even purely for the novelty value.

Days were spent lying on the beach reading, swimming and jumping off huge rocks. We met up with friends and went to the Waterpark in Falaraki, apparently the second largest in Europe - you had to get around on a miniature train. It was one of my favourite days out, almost like Disney land but with water slides. The slides were scary, fun and there was plenty to choose from. If you're not a fan of the scary ones, you could spend hours on the lazy river. If you go to Rhodes, go to the water park, and go on the WetBubble. If this ever applies to you, you will know what I mean.
The Acropolis is definitely worth a visit too, the views are stunning but go as late in the day as possible; lots of steps + over 35degree heat = extreme irritation.

It was a gorgeous week, which makes me even more excited to go away to Mallorca in August with Calum and his family, although it has to be said, the waterpark in Mallorca doesn't compare...
I will be posting soon with some hopefully successful Greek recipes, which are perfect for summer, even if it isn't quite as hot in Scotland as it is in Greece.
For the moment though, I have just been abandoned by my mum who has gone out for lunch. I think there is some left over macaroni cheese in the fridge with my name on it... Sigh.














Lindsay x 

Comments

Popular Posts