Lamb and feta koftas

I haven't done a blog in a while, but I can say it's been for good reason. Last weekend, me and Calum were at Parklife Festival, down in Manchester. We went last year and it was just as good this time around, despite the odd shower and a lot of mud and a (self inflicted) lack of wellies...  Although we did get sunburnt, so I can't really complain. We even partied in the smallest club in the world, which as it turn is out is exactly the right size for me, I was the only person who didn't need to crouch!



The music was just as amazing as expected, we got to see some of my favourite dance artists as well as legends like Soul to Soul and Public Enemy. The food was just as good, I love festival food. One of the things I was most excited about when we bought tickets was the Thai Street Food stall they have there, sort of missing the point I know, but the Massaman Curry IS life-changing.
Something about food from a van tastes so much better than it would if you were eating it in a restaurant, even (or perhaps especially) if it's slightly dodgy Chinese. SO, my recipe today is semi-inspired by a falafel wrap I had when we were there. I say semi-inspired, because they aren't really similar at all, apart from being in a wrap and tasting like you would eat it on a Greek holiday. And being great with hummus.

Since I am going to Greece soon, food like my lamb and feta koftas seem especially perfect for summer BBQs, if you want something a bit more unusual than a burger, but with a similar appeal. Little spiced lamb meatballs, infused with feta cheese; these are delicious, AND I can proudly say, one of my own recipes.

What you'll need to make these is as follows. These make about 15 meatballs.


  • 500g lean lamb mince
  • 1 tbsp dried, or fresh (finely chopped) mint
  • 1 clove of finely chopped garlic
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin 
  • 1 block of feta cheese, crumbled (I don't know the exact weight, but it's the small block you can buy in Tesco)
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • A good few grinds of black pepper 
  • Salt, to taste
  1. Put the mince, and all of the spices into a bowl, and combine with your hands until everything is evenly mixed through. 
  2. Then, add your crumbled cheese, and do the same.
  3. Once you've added the cheese, pinch off ping-pong ball sized pieces of mince and shape into meatballs. Place on a foil lined baking tray. When they are all shaped and the same size, put the tray into the fridge for twenty minutes to firm the meatballs up. 
  4. Then, either grill or BBQ, turning frequently until the outsides are crisp and brown, and when you cut one in half the mince is cooked all the way through. This should take ten-fifteen minutes, but depending on the size might take more or less time. Keep checking them. 
Done! Easy peasy. My favourite way to eat these is  street food-esque, i.e in a pitta bread, with some mixed leaves, hummus and tzatziki, which you can easily make by chopping up some cucumber and mint, and mixing with greek yoghurt.
Oooh, and with Pimms. 

Definitely try these out to zizz up a BBQ, and if the British summer fails you they are just as easy to pretend with, under the grill. 

Enjoy!


Lindsay x 

Comments

Popular Posts