The MacDog. Lunch at The Crafty Pig.

So I'm spending my Sunday as one should; somewhat hungover, in my pyjamas and watching Netflix... with some course reading thrown in so I feel I'm at least doing something worthwhile-ish. Whilst I was eating my hotdog flavour Walkers crisps (good, by the way) I found myself thinking about a slightly more substantial lunch I had earlier this week, not for the fainthearted.

If any of you read my blog from the other day, you will know that I've been wanting to go to the newly opened 'The Crafty Pig' on Great Western Road. Brewhouse and smokery, their craft beer menu is just as impressive as the American BBQ style food selection, consisting primarily of burgers, hotdogs, ribs and pizza. Earlier this week me and Lauren went, not only to check it out, but as a ceremonial 'new-flat' celebration... and one that marks the end of eating out for a while at least.

I'd only been to the Little Urban Achiever's Club once, but the new interior is definitely more cosy. A fusion of sports bar, casual restaurant and games tables it feels friendly and fun. The real trouble began when we got the menu though. I had looked at it before but not in detail, and it's not an understatement to say I was torn. It is reasonably priced, the portions are huuuuge and there is a big variety, you will want everything. There is also a lunch menu during the week for £4.95 which has a really good selection of dishes on it which was very good value for money, not that either of us ended up going for it though.

Lauren; pre food-coma
What we did go for is something so bad it's good. Not just good, amazing. The MacDog. A hotdog, covered in macaroni cheese, and more cheese on top. Yes. Served with a mountain of skinny fries to boot.
Not exactly first date food, or second, or even third, it was messy. In fact, don't even go there unless your love interest is very much committed and won't be put off easily. Mustard and cheese was everywhere by the time I had finished eating, and it was a good thing I looked in the bathroom mirror before I left because there was a massive blob right on the end of my nose, sexy.
The portion was huge, I didn't quite finish my hotdog. I managed all my fries though, of course.


It was as amazing as it sounds, the macaroni cheese was excellent, the hotdog was good quality and the fries were amazing. We didn't have beer, as I'm not much of an expert, but I'm sure for those who are interested you could definitely find something you fancy. Whilst the booze is a bit more expensive than some other places, you're paying for quality and individuality which gives the place a nice edge.















(two pictures wasn't enough)




But I'll cut a long story short, because trust me I could harp on about the MacDog for a long time, even though I don't think a hotdog covered in macaroni needs anyone to do it's talking for it.

I will definitely be going back to The Crafty Pig, to probably have the Cow Bell bun (pulled beef, coleslaw and BBQ sauce, mmm) and absolutely to try the fried pickles, which I am very intrigued by.

An excellent place if you want to pig out (quite literally) but yes, don't take your date there the first time you go out... and maybe not if you plan on wearing a tight dress at any time during the next month.

Lindsay x

Comments

Popular Posts