10 to 10 in Delhi; a little bit of heaven in Edinburgh

Calum, my boyfriend lives in Edinburgh, which means I am in the lucky position of getting the best of both cities. A few weekends ago, I went through to visit him (and do a bit of shopping while I was at it). While we were out on the Saturday it was time to get something to eat. Opting out of a Subway, or sub-standard supermarket sandwich, Calum suggested we went to a place on Nicholson Street called 10 to 10 in Delhi. He had been a few times before with friends and raved about it. My friend Mel actually also visited on a trip to Edinburgh and recommended it, so it was probably about time I visited.

From the name you might be able to guess that 10 to 10 in Delhi is a little Indian cafe/restaurant, which is probably what my version of heaven will look like.
It is tiny; decked out head to toe in cushions, throws, colour and sparkles, it is full of little tables to crowd around and it smells like the most heavenly curry in the world. The ceiling is amazing.
Walking in you feel like you have been transported to a little piece of India and were it not for the view out of the window of the incredibly busy Lidl, you could almost forget you are in the city centre of Edinburgh. They even show Bollywood music videos, which I have to admit are a guilty pleasure of mine.

The menu is relatively small, but obviously very well thought out. There is a variety of Roti rolls, which are Indian wraps filled with the chef's special curries and served with salad, light dishes, student deals as well as their speciality curries. Everything is made on site and the menu is bursting with vegetarian dishes made from lentils, chickpeas and paneer, as well as curries including chicken and seafood. They also do sharing plates, if you can't decide what you fancy. You can choose between rice or nan as a side and add extras as you desire.


























I had the Chicken Domuda, washed down with a lychee Rubicon (very good by the way), which was chicken breast in a spicy, creamy peanut sauce, served with rice. Calum opted for the Dhal curry, traditional and made with lentils but with the chefs own twist. I'm being completely honest when I say that it was one of the most simple yet effective and delicious curries I have ever had in a restaurant. It wasn't heavy with too much cream and the spices were perfect and fragrant. Portion size was right on too.

Calum's dhal was similarly good. It all tasted home made and very authentic, I would have been pleased to have it in any Indian restaurant.



























Then there is the price, which, apart from the food itself of course, is probably the best thing about this place. For my curry, which was just enough to make me full but not in that uncomfortable, I'll-never-eat-again way, was £4.95, including rice. Calum's was £3.95. It would be difficult to remember a time when I've ever had such good value for money, especially when Indian takeaways can often be pricey but average.

The food was delicious, unbelievably so for the price and you will be left wanting to try everything on the menu. They also serve dessert, although I was too full, lassi and authentic Chai tea.

I will definitely, absolutely be going again. I can't believe it's taken me this long to go and I want to make up for lost time. I would recommend it to anyone in Edinburgh, especially if you're a student, because you can eat out almost guilt free. Whilst I wish there was one in Glasgow, a little part of my brain thanks goodness there isn't... I would be huge.

So, I urge you, GO. If you like cushions, curry, and places that won't break the bank, 10-to-10 in Delhi is definitely for you.

Lindsay x

Comments

Popular Posts